We learn about some awesome science in high school – like Einstein’s theory of relativity, the Periodic table, and DNA replication.
The knowledge we pick up there sets the foundations for all the other amazing things we go on to study. But science definitely doesn’t end at high school, and it’s once you take your learning to the next level that things get really interesting.
In no particular order, here are some mind-bendingly incredible facts that we didn’t learn at high school, but wish we did.
1. There is enough DNA in the average person’s body to stretch from the sun to Pluto and back — 17 times.
2. Water can boil and freeze at the same time.
3. We’ve got spacecraft hurtling towards the edge of our Solar System really, really fast.
4. If you spin a ball as you drop it, it flies.
5. In an entire lifetime, the average person walks the equivalent of five times around the world.
6. Killer whales are actually dolphins.
7. Grasshoppers have ears in their bellies.
8. You can’t taste food without saliva.
9. Octopuses have three hearts, nine brains, and blue blood.
10. The known universe is made up of 50,000,000,000 galaxies.
Side note: If you did learn about all of this and more at school, then you had a kick-ass teacher and you should probably tell them that.