Football superstar Cristiano Ronaldo is being sued by a woman in the US who alleges he raped her in the penthouse suite of a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.
The Nevada woman alleges the former Manchester United forward then dispatched a team of “fixers” to obstruct the criminal investigation and trick her into keeping quiet for 375,000 dollars (£268,000).
The suit says the woman asked police last month to reopen the criminal case.
Las Vegas police confirmed to the Associated Press on Monday that they have reopened a sexual assault case from 2009 brought by the woman named in the lawsuit.
A Portuguese citizen, Ronaldo was transferred from Manchester United to Real Madrid in the summer of 2009 for a then-record sum of 94 million euros, or around £80 million.
“As of now this is an ongoing investigation and no further details are being released at this time,” Mr Ocampo-Gomez said.
The lawsuit claims that the woman’s family arranged for a lawyer “who only had several years of legal experience”.
Negotiations left her with “intrusive thoughts, an increased sense of extreme anxiety and fearfulness, complete helplessness and passivity,” the lawsuit says.
“The psychological trauma of the sexual assault, the fear of public humiliation and retaliation and the reiteration of those fears by law enforcement and medical providers left plaintiff terrified and unable to act or advocate for herself,” the lawsuit says.
The lawsuit also accuses Ronaldo or those working for him of battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, coercion and fraud, abuse of a vulnerable person, racketeering and civil conspiracy, defamation, abuse of process, breach of contract, and negligence for allowing details of the confidential settlement to leak out.
It asks for general damages, special damages, punitive damages and special relief, each in excess of 50,000 (£38,000), along with interest, attorney fees and court costs.