It’s essential to pay extra attention to your nail hygiene and clean them on a regular basis. The extra effort is worth it for your health, and it allows you to show off beautiful, healthy nails. Here’s what you need to know to keep your fingernails in tiptop shape.
To keep your nails looking fresh and clean, do:
- Keep fingernails dry and clean: This prevents bacteria from growing under your fingernails. Repeated or prolonged contact with water can contribute to split fingernails. Wear cotton-lined rubber gloves when washing dishes, cleaning or using harsh chemicals.
- Practice good nail hygiene: Use a sharp manicure scissors or clippers. Trim your nails straight across, then round the tips in a gentle curve.
- Use moisturizer: When you use hand lotion, rub the lotion into your fingernails and cuticles, too.
- Apply a protective layer:Applying a nail hardener might help strengthen nails.
- Ask your doctor about biotin: Some research suggests that the nutritional supplement biotin might help strengthen weak or brittle fingernails.
To prevent nail damage, don’t:
- Bite your fingernails or pick at your cuticles:These habits can damage the nail bed. Even a minor cut alongside your fingernail can allow bacteria or fungi to enter and cause an infection.
- Pull off hangnails:You might rip live tissue along with the hangnail. Instead, carefully clip off hangnails.
- Ignore problems: If you have a nail problem that doesn’t seem to go away on its own or is associated with other signs and symptoms, consult your doctor or dermatologist for an evaluation.
- Use harsh nail care products: Limit your use of nail polish remover. When using nail polish remover, opt for an acetone-free formula.