Fans are paying tribute to the late maestro on what would have been his 73rd birthday.
When it comes to our rich musical history, we think of Qawaali’s & great maestro’s like Abida Parveen & Late Nusrat Fateh Ali khan. However, we need to realise Qawaali isn’t just the music, it feeds the soul. It is somehow so soothing & when heard with proper understanding takes us in a different world. Fans celebrated what would have been the king of qawwali’s 73rd birthday today (October 13).
Nusrat was widely played in everyone’s house. He was one of the Legend, added a great value to our cultural heritage & music. He was an iconic South Asian musician of all time. His performances were staged across the world and being crowned with an array of titles.
His qawwalis have been reproduced time to time by different artists again in Pakistan and across the border.
On his birthday, here are some iconic melodies that we still listen to and love today.
- Afreen Afreen- it was recreated by the dynamic duo Rahat Fateh Ali & Momina Mustehsan
- Yeh Jo Halka Halka Suroor hai- no Qawal goes without singing this & no qawaali is complete without hearing this. It takes us all to a different place
- Dillagi- nothing can beat this. The original version is just love
- Mast Nazron se- ALWAYS considered to be life of the Qawaali. Mast Nazron Se is about heartbreak and the lyrics still resonate with us today, perhaps even more than they did before!
- Dam Mast Qalandar- nothing beats this honestly!
Though we, and many other fans, are celebrating and paying tribute to the late maestro today, we should note that he and his music are celebrated every single day. Millions of people around the world still listen to his qawwalis 24 years after his death and keep his memory alive every day.