Cucumbers are often considered as a fruit as well as a vegetable by experts as it belongs to the same plant family as that of the pumpkin, squash and watermelon, i.e. the Cucurbitaceae family.
The best part about cucumbers is that they are 95% water and a great addition to the summer diet as it helps one stay hydrated. However, summer is not the only time to eat cucumbers as they can be eaten throughout the year.
It is because Cucumbers are rich in copper, potassium, Vitamin B, K, C, and manganese. Eating cucumbers regularly helps one avoid or overcome nutrient deficiencies. Additionally, cucumbers also have polyphenols that are unique to this fruit and other compounds that reduce the risk of chronic ailments.
Cucumbers help in detoxifying the body and prevent dehydration. It also helps in enhancing one’s beauty.
Here are 7 reasons why you eat cucumbers to beat the summer heat:
1. Cucumbers are 95% water. They help to keep the body hydrated and eliminate toxins from the body. This is because its high water content helps to flush the toxins from the system.
2.They are rich in potassium, magnesium, and fibre. These three nutrients are best for lowering blood pressure. Plus, it has mild diuretic properties, thanks to its high potassium and water content. This helps regulate blood pressure.
3. It is great for the skin. You can use cucumber juice on the face or on the skin to feel fresh. It is ideal for dry skin.
4. It is a great beauty enhancer when it comes to reducing dark circle under the eyes. Keeping cucumber slices on the eyes for about 8-10 minutes daily helps to reduce the puffiness around the eyes.
5. It is effective against tanning. Cucumber juice has anti-inflammatory properties that when applied to the skin for 10 minutes daily can lighten the skin naturally. It can also treat mild sunburns.
6. Eating cucumber helps to release heat in the stomach. This helps in curing bad breath. Or you can hold a cucumber slice in the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds.
7. Cucumbers also consist of silica which is great for hair and nail care. It helps in strengthening the nails and toenails.